Saturday, March 26, 2011

India Flint and The Leafy Sea Dragon Festival

Today I set off cross country to lovely Yankalilla. The day was overcast and miserable and then it rained. I didn't mind though. Yankalilla is one of my favourite places and somewhere I'd love to live.
Yankalilla is just inland from Normanville, half way between Yankalilla and Normanville would be an ideal place for a home. I could walk on the beach every day.
Anyway the reason I went was for a workshop with the wonderful India Flint



The Leafy Sea Dragon Festival is on from the 15th to the 24th of April and includes the Art show, an artists trail, Mix it up Media Exhibition and lots more. Go to the link and you can see the rest of the events in the festival.
One of the exhibitions is called Colours of Home. For this a grant was won from Festivals Australia. This funded the Wonderful India Flint to spend a week at Yankalilla. Today we worked on flags for the exhibition,

India demonstrated her use of eucalypts in dying.


We bundled up silk and different types of leaves



tied them up with string





and boiled them.


Here are some of them hanging to dry.



We are all going back this week to work on some more fabrics for a group piece for the exhibition.
For full details on the how's you’ll need to buy India’s books and for lots of eye candy there’s her blog.

4 comments:

Lynda Howells said...

oh you lucky woman l would love to do one of her course,. I wes due to go over to Switzerland to do one of her courses but l have family problems and had to cancell. I have her book and she is amazing! Thanks for the images..beautiful work. lynda
http://tryingtocreatearteveryday.blogspot.com
and http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com (which is my dailyish photo diary

Sandy Pine said...

Hi Peta,
You have been busy hopping all over the country to do your workshops! Missed you at the meeting. See you at Hahndorf

india flint said...

hey thanks Peta - that's a great shot of the flags

Katie said...

these turned out so neat! And I just love your dolls! I haven't tried a cloth doll yet but they look fun.
So glad to have found you thru stitchin fingers!