Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The demise of the Patchwork/Craft Shop

I am quite sad to say our local patchwork shop is closing its doors. I didn't get the chance to chat to the owner as the place was packed for the first day of her sale. I haven't been in for quite a while as I don't do much patchwork these days. I did spend up big though. I was after some quilters muslin as it is my preferred fabric for doll bodies. I was too late. Others had bought whole rolls and there was none left. At 30% off who could blame them. While I waited in line for the checkout I had time to ponder on the demise of the local craft and patchwork shops. Is it that we are spending more at the big craft shows and chain stores? Or is it that the owner has been in business for 17 years and she is tired. We all move on in life and hopefully that is what is happening. I know she will still be at the craft shows and on line so not completely gone. I am well stocked with fabrics so I shall not be running out and now I work in Adelaide I can pop into some of the shops down there without too much trouble.
We need to buy from these people to see them stay in business and I only go to the chainstore when I am desperate for something. I shall have to make do with what I have...it will last me a long time. Perhaps I need a plan... on and a big dose of motivation.

1 comment:

Sandy Pine said...

Hi Peta,
it is always challenging running a business. There are unexpected costs, someone breaks your window, you need more stock, staff have to be paid (voice of experience). It is important to support your local shops...
By the way a good way to get motivated is to have a sewing day with a friend! If you can find a friend with some spare time.....